Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Bath with my Dad

crashed on gma e's couch after a hard day of playing with his cousins

Eli and I were having a deep discussion about birthdays today. He is determined that every day is his birthday, or mine, or Blakey's.

He said "blakey had his birthday so he is three".

me -"yep. how old will you be on your birthday?

E - "five. then i will have another birthday and be six and then i will have another birthday and i will be seven. (at this point my eyes fill up and I'm ready to tell him that no more birthdays are allowed in our house. my boys will not get that old).

E continues - and then i will have another birthday and i will be eight and then i get to take a bath with my dad.

Me - what?

E - I get to take a bath with my dad. . . in the water.

Me - (crying) oh you mean daddy will baptize you in the water so you can have the Holy Ghost.

E - Ya. what's the Holy Ghost? (another deep discussion begins).


I spent many nights during Eli's first 2 1/2 years of life wondering how I would be able to explain things to him. If he would understand the important things I wanted to teach him. I still worry about him. a lot. But I find time and time again that I don't give him enough credit. He understands much more that I think. He surprises me constantly.

I learned today that I am the one who needs to understand the important things he is trying to teach me.

I'm a lucky lady, that I get to be his mom.


Click here to find out what we believe about baptism and the Holy Ghost.

5 comments:

Bon said...

My oldest only has 7 more months til' she is baptized and although I am happy for her...it is scary. I loved your thoughts. Our children do teach us so much more than I think we realize!:)

Amelia said...

How cute is that. Eli is so smart.

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

This was such a cute post. I would ball too. I don't want any more birthdays at our house either. I hate how fast time goes by. You are sucha good mommy, Brit. Eli sounds like a real smarty!

Unknown said...

So beautiful. My guy is approaching his sixth birthday and he is SO excited about being baptized. I hope he continues his excitement throughout his life, just like your babe.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful little guy. You are a great mommy to him.

My Big Boy

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Little Monkey

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

My Sweet Baby

Lilypie

Who's Looking