Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The month of loooove - Grandma edition

It's officially that time of year. The time when everyone celebrates the people they love with chocolates, flowers and Strawberry Shortcake valentines. Maybe that last one is just me.

Growing up I had a fantastic relationship with my grandparents (maternal side). I still do with my grandpa, but my grandma has been gone for almost 9 years. She was an ideal grandma. The kind that went prom dress shopping, made me yummy food, never made me drink milk (blek) and slipped me a twenty every now and then. She attended every game, program, birthday party, hiccup, sneeze and everything in between. 80% of my early childhood photos were taken at her house. I still love that house - it's home. She was sweet and feisty. Hilarious and ornery. The best.

Every Valentines Day my mom bought us treats. You know, like heart shaped boxes and furry animal things. But I distinctly remember my grandma each year bringing us her own special heart-shaped box o' chocolates (cue forest gump). I really miss her sometimes and wish my kids had been able to know her. She taught me many lessons and bequeathed to me her head-shape, nose and fabulous figure (sarcasm oozing).


So in honor of love month I want to remember all the people who I love and those that love me back. Here's to remembering my grandma - a damn fine lady.


them with me - their favorite
do not judge my hair


I said she was feisty

Side note - for Christmas this year my very resourceful sister put almost all of our old-school family pictures on cd's. We are officially digital. Which means from this point on there will be some major oldie goodness going on at the 4 Walls.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Oh! I love this post. Your grandma was always so good to me. I loved going there to hang out with your mom. One day, your mom made us spagetti and when she was drainging it, it went down in the garbage disposal. She reached down and pulled it out and we ate it.....corn and all! So stinking funny. Your grandma called me every year and I got to go ever and get your mom's hand me downs. Oh my gosh.....I was the best dressed kid in Ucon Elementary....(I might have to write a post about that) Love your family!!!!

Judy said...

Oh and can I copy and paste these pics? I love them.

christine said...

Definitely loved your Grandma and have fond memories of her cheering us on at the games! Hope your gpa is hanging in there-I'm sure he is missing his damn fine lady! He comes into the restaurant for soup after work quite a bit. I saw him a few times when I was working earlier this year. Still so cute!

Mom said...

She so loved you!!! You made me cry.

My Big Boy

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Little Monkey

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

My Sweet Baby

Lilypie

Who's Looking