Last night Ben and I went to our first adoption meeting with LDS Family Services. It was the "orientation meeting" and we had to attend it before we could start our paperwork. We turned in about 1/3 of the paperwork, so only 2/3 to go! We have another meeting tonight. I actually look forward to these meetings...it's fun to go and be able to talk about something that we are so passionate about.
Yesterday, I was sitting by a couple that was just starting their first adoption. They felt a little overwhelmed and had questions about the process. The wife felt like she had to "jump through so many hoops" and that there were a lot of "huge obstacles". I was taken back to 4 1/2 years ago when I was feeling the exact same things. I was excited to know we were getting closer to starting our family, but I also felt overwhelmed, unsure, stupid (for lack of a better word), vulnerable, alone, & embarrassed. Believe it or not, not everyone is on the adoption bandwagon. You get many sympathetic stares and pats on the arm. There were times when I wanted to scream "I am not dying, people!" Then I fielded comments of "you are such amazing people to do that" or "isn't it hard that they won't look like you?". First of all I am no humanitarian - I am purely a selfish person who wanted to be a mom. And in the grand scheme of things we didn't care who our kids looked like as long as they were ours (plus we have two really cute kids). Don't get me wrong, I love answering people's questions about adoption...and most are really good questions. And I really love talking about our two experiences!
The social workers stress how important it is to be vocal about your adoption plans and let people know - the more advocates, the better. I have no problem shouting from rooftops how much I love adoption and letting everyone know that we are ready for another baby, however not everyone feels the same. Especially those that haven't, yet, experienced what a miracle adoption is. It is a personal journey that is different for each couple and it has taken me 4 1/2 years and our third adoption to feel confident enough to share my feelings so openly. Sometimes you don't feel like sharing your inner most thoughts with half the world - sometimes you do.
In my opinion, there is nothing harder than waiting for your first baby. It consumes every thought, feeling, moment. You ache with an emptiness, that nothing seems to fill - at least this was my experience. I remember so desperately wanting to hear someone call me mommy (and now I am blessed enough to have two little monkeys yelling mommy). I would sit in my classroom, look at the calender and think "when will we really have a baby, by Christmas, by next year, two years?" I tear up thinking about the constant questioning and helplessness I felt. This is a happy post, it really is, but my heart breaks for all the people out there that are experiencing those emotions and wondering if there is an end in sight. All I can say is that Eli & Blake are the greatest loves I have known, I never understood before that my heart could be ripped apart and put back together again. Although it is a cliche - it was all worth it!
We are excited for more children, we really, really want more children, but my ache will never be as great as it once was. I know it is in the Lord's hands and I have already been blessed with two amazing boys that fill my days with love, frustration, happiness and pure joy.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
It's GO time!
My life is full, my heart is full, and for that I am grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






.jpg)



17 comments:
woooohooooo! you are the best. love hearing you expressing your feelings. i am trying not to bawl.
Beautiful post Brittney! It took me back to some funny memories too! I'm so excited for you to start the process again. It is such a blessing to be a mom! I hope and pray it all goes as fast as your other two did! :)
I love reading what you have to say. You are a good writer, and you can express your feelings so well. I really mean it when I say that you and Ben are truely amazing people! I am so excited for you and your growing family.
I love to hear or read other peoples thoughts and feelings about adoption, mainly because they are my own thoughts and feelings. It makes me feel like I am a somewhat normal person. I am so excited for you. It is a huge huge task to accomplish. There is nothing easy about having your life on display for everyone else, and to sell yourself as a parent. I love adoption and know that my girls were meant to come to our home!!! Maybe one of these days I will be doing the same thing. Good Luck!
You are such a great writer! I am so excited for you and hope you are able to finish the rest of the process as quickly and as easy as possible! Good luck!!
Having just given birth to a new life, I'm sensitive to feelings right now about these blessings that come into our lives, whatever route they've taken to get here. That was an awesome write up- you express yourself well. It's good to know how you feel about things because some of us don't know what it's like for you. I hope you get another child soon. I can see how much Anna loves Riley and I no longer question how people can adopt and love just as strongly as the rest of us. Good Luck!
I can't wait for your next baby either- I think I am as excited about it as you are!!!
Beautifully put Brit! Thanks for sharing! And we will be praying for your third adoption for you...I am so excited for you! Three is amazing, fun, exciting, the same as two, but one more little spirit to love and hold and share with!!:)
What a beautiful Post, Thank you so much for sharing!! I loved reading all of your posts and seeing how things are for you. Your little family is the cutest thing ever! I am going to add you to my list of friends and stay tuned in to your posts! Loved the Volleyball, is that in your back yard?
Wow- You definitely have a way of expressing your feelings so that we all know how you feel/felt! I wish you all the luck in the world. I know from standing on the sidelines and watching others go through it how amazing adoption can be. I definitely think those babies are meant to be in the homes that they are placed in!
Brit,
I enjoyed your comments as well. It took me back almost 17 years ago when we did our first adoption. What a privlige it is to belong to the adoption family. Your boys are beautiful. Your Mom brags on them all the time.
Love Sheila
I haven't talked to you in years and came across your blog. You were a good friend to me for many, many years and couldn't help but tear up as I read your post. You are so strong and I know you are the best blessing in those boys lives as they are in yours. I am happy for you and wish you the best in your next adoption.
Trish
I love you and your blog! We really need to get together and play sometime.
Just so you know... I think Eli is the cutest stinkin thing ever. I've never been around him until the activity yesterday and I loved it. He is so funny.
I am so glad you have become such an advocate for adoption! I just love to read what you have to say because it echoes so many of the sentiments of my own heart... I, too, am so very grateful for the wonderful blessing of adoption and the way it blesses so many. You are RIGHT ON about so many things that not everyone understands. I love hearing things from your perspective. I know my parents felt (and still feel!) so much the same way. Adoption has been such a blessing to our family. And the last year has been such an adventure for us... meeting my Birth Mom and her family (now 30 years after my adoption!) and getting a chance to have this wonderful relationship with them has brought healing to her and enriched my life and my parents, and all of our families, as well. It truly brought us all full circle to where we can actually SEE the blessings of this selfless choice she made for us and KNOW what we all BELIEVED for all of these years. It has been such a blessed journey... although one that I never thought I would take... I am grateful for this deeper understanding of the divine design of eternal families and for the true blessing of adoption and the role it plays in that grand plan. Anyway, sorry, again, for the LONG comment... but once you get me started... you know how it is!
AND I can't wait to see your darling family grow again! :) Here's crossing my fingers that your wait will be a quick one, but knowing however long, it will be worth it!
I am so excited for you guys! I don't know if you get to make a request either way {or if you guys have a preference}, but can I say, I'm hoping something PINK comes your way! hehe.
i want to hear your adoption stories - i love hearing them as we're thinking about adopting! please and thanks!
Post a Comment