Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Adoption Update

On Monday I received a comment on a previous post that reminded me that I have been slacking on the adoption posts lately. I was a little shocked to hear that someone out there actually wanted to hear my ramblings on this subject. So, for all of you that don't - sorry.

We are just finishing up the last two parts of our paperwork - the birthparent letter and the picture collage. These are the most stressful and important parts of the paperwork, at least in my opinion. Imagine cramming everything you think and feel about something that you are passionate about in two typed pages. Not to mention explaining everything about your family in that same space. The letter and collage are what the birthparents look at when they are trying to choose a family for their baby. Overwhelming - right? I think it took me a month to write the letter when we got Eli. It was a little quicker with Blake and this time around. All three of the letters are surprisingly similar. I thought I should have to start from scratch each time and make a completely unique letter. What I realized is that we are still the same people with many of the same feelings and ideas that we had four years ago. Things went much smoother, once I realized that it was not plagiarism to use ideas from my old letters. Obviously our feelings on adoption as a whole and on birthmothers has grown a lot and we now have two boys to write about, so there are also many changes. I have had people say it seems like you have to sell yourself with the letter and pictures. I don't agree. My goal is to write a letter and choose pictures so that our birthmother carrying our child will recognize us when she sees them. We are not in a competition for a baby, we are only trying to find our baby. I have had too many experiences over the last 4 1/2 years to deny the Lord's hand in adoption. I am so grateful that Ben and I have been blessed with Blake and Eli and I know they were ours long before they came to us and they will be ours forever.

We will turn in the letter and picture collage on Monday, when we have our home visit, and should be approved not to long after that. I can't tell you the excitement in our house as we prepare for another baby. Granted we don't have a time table to go by - but we are still so happy to be on this road again.

I love adoption. I love my boys. I love the gospel. I am so blessed.

11 comments:

SueAnn said...

That is so exciting! I have to agree that the letter and collage are by far the hardest part of the paper work! Good Luck!!

Christina said...

Good Luck! I hope it happens soon for you. Three is a whole new world, but so worth it.

Amelia said...

I loved doing the collage with you! Thanks for including me in all of the joy and excitement! I can't wait for baby #3!

Bon said...

I love these posts too! I hope that you will find YOUR baby soon! I am excited to keep hearing about it!

Kelsie said...

I love this line: "My goal is to write a letter and choose pictures so that our birthmother carrying our child will recognize us when she sees them." I've never thought of it like that--but it's so true. Good luck with everything!

The Fox Den said...

I'm sure you are an inspiration and resource to so many. Is baby #3 going to be a girl???

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you guys. Adoption is beautiful... just look at your family. God bless you all! You are in our prayers. Keep us posted!

Trisha said...

You have such a way with words and am blown away everytime you write on this subject, it always brings tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for you and your family and can't wait to hear when you find YOUR baby.

Sarah and David said...

Hey Britney! It was fun to read your update. You have such a great look at adoption, that you're really just looking for YOUR baby. That is so exciting. Good luck with everything! Hope all is well with primary.

Terri said...

Britney how very cool for you. I loved how you said that you are just trying to find your baby. Its amazing the miracles that come from adoption. You guys are such great people and parents that this will be one lucky girl. Good to see you all doing well.
The Browns

Leisha said...

As I sit here, I was just thinking about whether or not to rewrite our entire birth mother letter for the third time around or if an "update" on our family would be enough. I love how you've shared your thoughts on this. It's exactly how I feel too and I truly know that our child's birth mother will find us and know it's the right thing. I agree that two pages doesn't seem adequate to tell someone all about you/your adoption journey/your life. Adoption is a miracle. I'm so grateful for it and grateful to find friends who completely understand this aspect of my life. Thanks for your comment. Now I'm going to be blog stalking to keep up on your adoption journey. Our intake interview in on Tuesday. You'd think the third time around would be a breeze. I feel just as anxious about it but in a different way. . .hard to explain. Definitely the Lord's and in adoption and in bringing our families together.

My Big Boy

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Little Monkey

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

My Sweet Baby

Lilypie

Who's Looking